What Are the Major Uses of Isobutene?
A hydrocarbon of significant industrial usage, Isobutene- R600a works as an intermediate for production of a variety of products. It is one of the four isomers of butylene and offers a number of uses for different industries. Some of them are mentioned below-
1. Isobutene is highly versatile in terms of usage. The product can be used for rubbers, plastics, fragrances in fuels and even plastics or pharmaceuticals.
2. It also acts as an intermediate in production of several industrial products. When used with ethanol and methanol, it oxygenates methyl tert-butyl-ether and ethyl tert-butyl-ether, which can be used as solvents, as anti-knocking agents among other purposes.
3. Using renewable sources for fuel is an issue that’s plaguing the world with its high costs and pollution. That’s where Isobutene can help. The product, isobutene is more versatile than hydrogen, which makes it perfect for jet fuels and as a gasoline additive.
4. Importers in India discuss that isobutene can be used for production of methacrolein. This colorless liquid can be used for production of polymers and synthetic resins.
5. Despite being highly flammable, isobutene can be used safely as a fuel additive.
6. The product can be used for making butylated hydroxytoluene, which is an antioxidant product used in minute quantities as a food additive. FDA and European Union have approved its use in food.
We at KPL International offer isobutene among a variety of other chemicals, minerals and products useful for different industrial purposes.