The importance of R600a in today’s world
The application of hyrdrofluorocarbon and chlorofluorocarbon in the refrigerants has a very adverse impact on the environment. One of the biggest adverse impacts is the depletion of the ozone layer that has become a topic of great concern among the people of the world. Efforts are being made to replace these harmful refrigerants with a eco-friendly refrigerant such as R600a.
What is R600a?
R600a is a refrigerant grade isobutane. It is a natural refrigerant that is suitable for a wide range of applications in refrigerant. It is a very good replacement of harmful refrigerants such as R12, R13a, R22, hydrofluorocarbon and chlorofluorocarbon. R600a is a part of petrol gas that is produced naturally.
Isobutane R600a has gained a lot of popularity in last few years due to its exceptional thermodynamics performance and very low impact on the environment. It is a non toxic substance with zero ozone depletion potential and low global warming potential. R600a cycles may use a system of current vapour compression with minimum design tweaks.
Properties of R600a
- R600a does not cause green house effect.
- R600a has a very strong cooling performance.
- The power consumption of R600a is low.
- R600a has a low speed of load temperature rise.
- R600a is compatible with various lubricants.
Uses of R600a
Due to its eco-friendly properties and the global concern of ozone layer depletion, R600a has become a refrigerant gas of choice in small commercial refrigerant and domestic refrigerant. Some of the uses of R600a are-
- R600a is used in industrial refrigeration.
- R600a is used in vending machine and plug-ins.
- R600a is used in geothermal power generation.
- R600a also finds its application in aerosol sprays.
- R600a is used in petrochemical industry as a feedstock.
- R600a has an application in beverage dispensers.
- R600a has an application in dehumidifiers.
Precautions while using R600a
R600a must be handled with utmost care and its packaging and transportation should be done as per the guidelines. It is a flammable gas, and should be kept away from flames. R600a should be handled by the person who is wearing a mask as the inhalation of this gas may cause problems.